Sunday, April 21, 2013

Keesha's House: Integration


In order to come to a better understanding of the importance of interactions between people in peacemaking, I have been examining the ways that people separate themselves and the ways they are brought together. As I analyzed the effects of borders, bridges, and boundaries in the world today, I was introduced to the idea of a contact zone. As defined by Mary Louise Pratt in her article “Arts of the Contact Zone,” a contact zone is a place where people with differences can come together. I have experienced different types of contact zones in my life primarily through an exchange student program and my involvement with the church.
The first time I can remember actually being a part of a contact zone was when I was in 8th grade, and my family was offered the opportunity to host a foreign exchange student. Although I had heard stories that described the impact of cultural diversity, I had never experienced it firsthand. My new Belgian sister’s name was Loulia, and she was a vibrant and joyful young woman. Like Dana Johnson’s character Melvin from “Melvin in the Sixth Grade,” Loulia was unaffected by the standards of conformity that those around her adhered to. She and I were so alike in personality and sense of humor that we hit it off immediately. Just as any older sister would do, Loulia was willing to answer any and all questions that I asked of her, which led to many theological, moral, and personal discussions that were very important to me. Just as John Howard Griffin was able to build a window into the black society in Black Like Me, I had a way to experience a world completely different from my own.
Loulia attended church regularly with us in our small Mennonite congregation, and it soon became clear that we were facing a difficult border of religious tolerance. The people in my congregation loved and respected Loulia, but as a family we decided that it would be in her best interests not to spread the fact that Loulia was Muslim. If someone asked her directly she answered truthfully, but we did our best to avoid any major publicizing of her religious beliefs. I was shocked and dismayed that the peace-loving people I knew so well could be capable of creating such a division based on a difference that I saw as small. This was the first time that I experienced the reality that it takes intentional effort to build bridges between people with differences, no matter how insignificant they may seem to me.
One of the other significant contact zones that I have recently been a part of was within my church conference, Allegheny Mennonite Conference. I was a part of the AMC Youth Cabinet, which was a group of high school juniors and seniors who took leadership of youth events in the conference. I was elected the Chairperson of the cabinet, which included a position on the conference’s Leadership Council. As a member of this council I attended monthly meetings and delegate sessions during which we made decisions regarding the future of the conference. The council was an effective contact zone due to an eclectic mix of people, each with different perspectives and viewpoints.
During my time on the council, we dealt partially with the issue of homosexuality in the church. Before our meeting began, each member of the council expressed their perspective on the subject as well as their life experience that brought them to that perspective. I was amazed at the attitude of respect and love that was extended as each person shared their unique thoughts and experiences. The borders that are created because of differences in religious and social beliefs were by no means absent, but they were navigated with an attitude of love that left all of the involved members, including myself, feeling at peace. I believe that the lack of this type of attitude is what causes boundaries to be so dividing. As shown in Luis Urrea’s novel The Devil’s Highway, the conflict and violence of the Mexican/American border escalated when the Mexicans were “dehumanized” by their oppressors. No matter what the subject (religious differences, socioeconomic differences, racial differences), approaching conflict with the intent of “winning” is not beneficial for any party involved.
Throughout the years my safe house, as I feel it should be for every growing child, was my home. My parents are incredible people who love and support me unconditionally, and our house was a safe haven for my family, my friends, and anyone who came our way. My home was a safe space to have discussions, learn important lessons, and ask the questions that needed to be asked, no matter how difficult. For me, that concept was what made reading Keesha’s House difficult: I could not imagine living in a world where your own home was not safe and your parents were not supportive. I am very aware of how lucky this home environment makes me; I was fortunate enough to have a safe house even when I didn’t need one.
Throughout this exploration of borders, contact zones, and safe houses, I have become much more aware of the social and religious divisions around me. Although before I knew instinctively that there were lines that could not be crossed, they are now in the forefront of my consciousness and are a part of my interactions with the communities around me. As I continue through my next three years of college I will continue to explore and ask questions, and hopefully be a part of a new kind of peacemaking.
 

Works Cited


Frost, Helen. Keesha's House. New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2003. Print.
Johnson, Dana. Break Any Woman Down: Stories. Athens: University of Georgia, 2001. Print.
Pratt, Mary Louise. "Arts of the Contact Zone." Profession 91 (1991): 33-40. Web. 17 Apr. 2013
Urrea, Luis Alberto. The Devil's Highway: A True Story. New York: Back Bay, 2005. Print.

7 comments:

  1. This was a really interesting blog post. I really enjoyed learning about your experiences with contact zones throughout your life. I can definitely relate, because my family also hosted a foreign exchange student a few years ago. Although I don't think I had quite the connection with my sister as you did with yours, it was definitely a learning experience, quite like many other contact zones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a lot of great connections between your life experiences and class content in this post. I found your experience of hosting an exchange student to be especially interesting. I've always wanted to do that, and it's great that your experience was so good and that you and Loulia bonded like that. Religion often is a big border, and you experienced that personally with Loulia and your congregation. It is sad that people that you have always seen as peaceful and accepting can be so judgmental of people of other faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of hosting a foreign exchange student is interesting! In high school, one of my best friends was a student from Germany. We had a lot of fun times, just like you. Being able to look back and reflect on that experience is something that I enjoy. I can put names to things (contact zone, safe house, etc.) and see how we were able to easily communicate: I was really friendly and so was he. It was so easy for us to become best friends! Although he's back in Germany, I'm grateful to have that experience in a similar way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hosting an exchange student is a great way to experience the complications of borders, bridges, and boundaries first hand! All three are needed, and sometimes it is hard finding the right balance. My family hosted two IVEPers, which stands for International Volunteer Exchange Program. It is pretty much like MCC salt, except young adults from other countries come to the United States. The first IVEPer we had was no problem, with only slight cultural misunderstandings. The second IVEPer we had did not feel comfortable around us, and would skype her family almost every day. We struggled to connect with her, and I am still not sure how we did. Obviously this class covers topics which are far from an exact science!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a joy to read. I really loved how you explained different contact zones you've experienced through your life. I had friends who hosted exchanges students and each time they were German. Both of them and I are still good friends today and I hope one day to visit them and learn through there culture just like they both did through mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace: It sounds like you have been a part of many interesting contact zones throughout your life! The opportunity to host a foreign exchange student must have been a very rewarding opportunity in the sense that you were able to form a relationship with a person with a different culture. It is a shame that your family found it necessary to, in a sense, hide her religion from other people. On a more positive note, it is good that you found a safe house within your own home: not many people have that privilege! Thank you for sharing your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, this was very well written. The story of your exchange student Loulia creates a wonderful example of a contact zone in your life. Not only did you have a connection with a person of a very different culture, but you learned to acknowledge a religious border. It is interesting how the creation of borders can reveal so much about those on both sides.

    ReplyDelete